My Tour Favourites (0)
Golden Eagle Trans-Siberian Eastbound
The most famous railway journey of them all, the Trans-Siberian railway is a historic line that firmly connects Europe, the remote, and stunning, Siberia, and Asia. It has proven to be a steel lifeline for the Russian people since its completion a century ago. Travelling through the cities of the Golden Ring, across the Ural Mountains, around the famous Lake Baikal and alongside the stunning Amur River, you can experience new cultures and new ways of looking at the world every day you are travelling.
The Golden Eagle tour will take you along the traditional route of the Trans-Siberian, with the added bonus of a slight detour along the, newer, Trans-Mongolian railway, as the adventure takes in northern Mongolia and its capital city, Ulan Bator. By the time you have completed his epic journey, you will have travelled a staggering 6,500 miles (11,000km), visiting nine cities (ten if you travel westbound!) and have crossed two continents.
Winston Churchill famously said that Russia was a, ‘riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma’. This is your opportunity to solve it … or at the very least explore the possible answers!
A Golden Eagle embroidered backpack for use during excursions (one per cabin)
Drinks with meals and from the Bar Lounge Car
Experienced tour managers
On-board doctor and medical facilities
Route guide, itinerary and information pack
Russian language courses
Souvenir CD upon finishing the tour, containing photos, itineraries, distances travelled and menus
Welcome and farewell dinners
Russia’s official capital, Moscow, is the political and religious heart of the country. The city has the highest density of billionaires, is the world’s most populated inland city and boasts six out of Europe’s ten tallest buildings. It continues to be a major tourist destination in Europe growing year on year with famous attractions including Red Square, St Basil’s Cathedral, and the Kremlin.
Kazan is the largest city and capital of the Republic of Tatarstan, Russia. The city lies at the confluence of the Kazanka and Volga Rivers in the South-East of Russia and was considered a crucial trade and political center from the Late Middle Ages onwards. It has become a popular tourist destination with famous attractions including the Kazan kremlin and Kul Sharif Mosque, known to be one of the largest mosques in Russia.
Yekaterinburg stands close to the divide between Russia and Kazakhstan and is known as the ‘window on Asia’ due to its close proximity to the border. The city is commonly referred to as Russia’s ‘third capital’ as it is ranked third for tourism, transport, and economic size. It holds crucial significance in Russian History as the final resting place of the Romanov dynasty.
Novosibirsk is the largest city in Siberia with the flair and charm of a provincial town. It is an important commercial hub in the region, hosting one of the best and largest universities in Russia which has shaped the identity of the city. The city is home to the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral and the Novosibirsk State Academic Theater of Opera and Ballet (NOVAT), considered one of the best musical and theatre groups in Russia.
Irkutsk is one of the largest cities in Siberia and the most important hub for tourism in the Lake Baikal region. As opposed to many of the more industrially shaped cities in Siberia, Irkutsk has a long history as a cultural centre and has been home to scientists, writers, artists, and political activists such as the Decembrists. It is also a key destination on the Trans-Siberian Railway.
A small settlement on the Western shore of Lake Baikal, Listvyanka is a highly popular tourist area known for its distinct local culture, fish market, and breathtaking hiking trails that venture around the edges of the lake. The settlement was formed near the point where the Angara River leaves Lake Baikal and is home to the Baikal Museum, with dedicated exhibits to the fauna and wildlife that can be found in the area.
Located to the East of Russia’s popular tourist destination Lake Baikal, Ulan-Ude is a city bustling with tourist activity and is the gateway for the Trans-Mongolian Railway that travels from Ulan-Ude to Beijing via Ulaanbaatar. The city’s close proximity to the Mongolian border and well-established transport links into Asia have allowed the city to form a unique cultural identity as the center of Buddhism in Russia.
The capital of Mongolia, Ulaanbaatar, was founded in the 17th century as a Buddhist monastic centre and is the country’s largest city. It is situated in the Tuul River valley, bordering the Bogd Khan Uul National Park and close to Gorkhi-Terelj National Park. The city has a rich heritage and is home to many famous tourist attractions including the Gandantegchinlen Monastery, Zaisan Memorial, Choijin Lama Temple, and the Winter Palace of Bogd Khaan.
The administrative centre of Primorsky Krai, Vladivostok meaning ‘Rule in the East’ in Russian, is situated in the far east of Russia around Golden Horn Bay. The city is famous for its harbour location as the home port of the Russian Pacific Fleet and being the final stop on the Trans-Siberian Railway. Tourists are attracted to its many military sites left over from the Russo-Japanese War and the beautiful Russky Island.
Where you can stay
A hotel can be the make or break of any experience, and we understand that choosing the right hotel is important to our travellers. Check out our range of hotels ahead of time, and learn more about our standard 3-star options and the luxury 5-star upgrades that are available in the destinations you will be visiting.
Please note that the selection of hotels included here are examples of where you may stay on your tour, we will pick the best option for you based on your travel requirements.
You may also like
Not quite found what you are looking for? Real Russia are committed to finding you the best tour for your needs. Whether you are after an activity-packed immersive experience or a relaxing vacation with plenty of free time, we have you covered. Here, is a list of tours you may also like, hand-picked by us based on your chosen theme and dates.
Dates & Rates
Please select the amount of travellers in your group and language requirement of your guide.
Please select a date
- A Golden Eagle embroidered backpack for use during excursions (one per cabin): A handy way to ensure that you never leave anything behind on your day to day excursions, and to carry any souvenirs that you may pick up
- After-dinner live musical entertainment on-board: A variety of traditional and popular music to keep you entertained into the night
- All gratuities: You will not have to worry about tipping while travel with the Golden Eagle as any, and all, gratuities are covered in the tour price
- All tours are COVID-19 secure and offer flexible booking options. Visit our Covid-19 information page to find out more
- Arrival and departure transfers: Golden Eagle will ensure that you need not worry about travelling from, or to, your Trans-Siberian adventure once you are in Russia
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner, daily: All departures feature Golden Eagles uniquely designed restaurant cars, it is here you will be served your meals
- Daily newspapers (printed on-board): Keep up to date on the comings and goings of the outside world
- Drinks with meals and from the Bar Lounge Car: A generous drinks allowance is included with lunch and dinner. For those travelling Gold Class, all drinks on the Standard Drinks List are included
- Experienced tour managers: Golden Eagle tour managers are selected for their linguistic and organisational capability, allowing you to sit back and relax on your Trans-Siberian adventure
- Freedom of Choice touring: In many of the places that you visit, Golden Eagle guides will offer you a selection of different tours to take, to best suit your interests
- Guided Excursions: Imperial Suite travellers will have the added benefit of the option of a private car and guide in many of the places visited en-route
- Hotel and on-board accommodation: Although you will spend much of your time sightseeing or socialising in the trains public areas, you will find your hotel room, or cabin, a welcome retreat at the end of the day
- Lectures on Russian history, life under Communism vs today and the Trans-Siberian Railway: Golden Eagles’ local experts will insure that you will come away from your adventure with a deeper understanding of Russia, Mongolia and their people
- On-board doctor and medical facilities: For your peace of mind, Golden Eagle tours are always accompanied by a doctor for the whole journey. They will be on call 24 hours a day, and are generally English speaking
- On-board service: You can expect service that is attentive, friendly and unobtrusive. Your car attendants provide 24-hour housekeeping and bedding turndown services. Complimentary tea, coffee and bottled water are available in your cabin 24 hours a day
- Personal headsets: On all excursions, a lightweight headset will be provided to ensure that you hear your guide clearly, and do not miss out on any of the fascinating information them are imparting
- Porterage: While you will stay on the train for the duration of your journey, when you do arrive at, and the leave, the train, you can be assured that all of your bags will be in safe hands
- Route guide, itinerary and information pack: Once you have boarded the train, a brochure will be available in your cabin outlining the journey ahead
- Russian language courses: Get an overview of the Russian language that will help you interact with people you may meet along your adventure!
- Russian Tourist Visa Invitation
- Souvenir CD upon finishing the tour, containing photos, itineraries, distances travelled and menus: The perfect way to remember your adventure along the most famous railway in the world
- Welcome and farewell dinners: Golden Eagle welcome dinners offer all travellers the opportunity to make friends with one another before the adventure ahead
What’s not included
- Any flights or travel costs not covered in the itinerary
- Any laundry services not included in your travel class
- Drinks from the Bar Lounge Car not included in your travel class
- Excess baggage charges
- Personal expenses such as souvenir shopping or extra food and drink not included in the itinerary
- Visa processing and service costs
- All travellers are asked to check the vaccination requirements before travel. Visit our Vaccines and Health page to find out more
- Any dietary or allergy requirements will need to be disclosed before the start of the tour
- Carrying a water bottle with you is recommended
- Medication should always be taken with you and kept on your person
- Please ensure that you keep any personal documents and valuables on your person at all times
- WIFI will be available at most of the hotels, although mobile coverage may vary in rural areas
- Your local guides will recommend stops where you can go souvenir shopping during your tour
Please note that this tour requires a minimum number of passengers in order to go ahead.
Enrich your travel experience with our list of top recommended books from specialist travel guides to compelling novels. Whether you are looking for something to pass the time on the train, or want to get to grips with the local history, reading is essential to turning your trip into a fully-fledged experience.
The ultimate guidebook to Mongolia that no tourist can go without! Lonely Planet’s Mongolia is packed full of almost everything you need when travelling to any destination from how to get around the country, the best places to eat in its most popular cities, what you need to see while you are there, cultural highlights and more. In addition to its noteworthy insider tips about key attractions such as the Winter Palace of Bogd Khan and the Gadan Monastery, this guide includes detailed maps that are invaluable to even the most seasoned traveller.
The ultimate guidebook to Moscow that no tourist can go without! Lonely Planet’s Moscow is packed full of almost everything you need when travelling to any destination from how to get around the city, the best places to eat, what you need to see while you are there, cultural highlights and more. In addition to its noteworthy insider tips, this guide includes detailed maps that are invaluable to even the most seasoned traveller.
A masterful anthology documenting Moscow’s turbulent growth through the lives of its people from the bloody reprisals of Peter the Great to the literary greats of the 19th century. The city spent much of its early life in turmoil from being the subject to much greater empires including the Tatars, to being burnt down numerous times, yet rising from the ashes twice as magnificent each time. Kelly’s compelling narrative covers all of Moscow’s major milestones over 700 years in engaging detail. A must-read for anyone interested in the history of Russia.
The ultimate guidebook to Russia that no tourist can go without! Lonely Planet’s Russia is packed full of almost everything you need when travelling to this vast country from how to get around, the best places to eat in its most popular cities, what you need to see while you are there, cultural highlights, currency and more. In addition to its noteworthy insider tips about key attractions such as the Moscow Kremlin, Lake Baikal and the Romanov sites, this guide includes detailed maps that are invaluable to even the most seasoned traveller.
Embarking one of the world’s most spectacular train journeys’, the Trans-Siberian Railway, Matthew Woodward sets off to rekindle his childhood passion for train travel. Trans-Siberian Adventures offers a personal insight into the highs, lows and expectations of long-distance train travel and is a must-read for anybody looking to embark on this mammoth journey from Moscow to Beijing and beyond.
Extras & Upgrades
Sorry, we currently do not have any extras readily available for this tour. However, if you are interested in customising your travel experience, please contact our Sales team at email@example.com for assistance.
Enhance your travel experience with one of our available tour upgrades. Whether you are looking to go first class on the train or swap your standard hotel for a luxury 5-star option, our Sales team are on-hand to help. Simply, let us know when booking your tour and we can arrange this for you.